I love spring, mainly because the lamb is incredible but the main reason I love spring is that the longer light and cool evenings are perfect for eating outdoors with the BBQ. And my favourite thing to BBQ is a chicken in Portuguese marinade. There are a lot of theories about the right way to marinade but this recipe is my version, it is really simple and very tasty. And what makes this even better is to cook with a fantastic free range chicken, I get mine from Hudson Meats sourced from Burrawong Gaian.
Portuguese Chicken Recipe
- 2 long red chillies
- 10 hot small red chillies
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, get the really good spanish type
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- Blend all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor but do not over process.
- Reserve a small amount for basting.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and cover in the marinade. Refrigerate and turn in the marinade regularly for an hour or more.
- On a high BBQ sear all of the chicken pieces then lower the temperature and close the lid for another 30 minutes, turning now and then. (note: you can also finish the chicken in the oven once you have charred it, this delivers a really moist chicken)
- Close to service bast the chicken once more with the left over marinade but don’t turn it, you want the marinade on the surface.
Salad to Accompany
- Good handful of mixed salad leaves, choose one with lots of peppery rocket
- Packet of cherry tomatoes halved
- Sliced red onion
- Black olives pitted
- Dressing of 2 TBsp of olive oil, 1Tbsp of lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper and a teaspoon of dried oregano.
Perfect to share with friends on a big serving platter on a spring evening.